Sunday 25 January 2009

Blankney POW's (Prisoners Of War)

I would like to thank reader David Butler for his recent e-mails. I have known David and his wife Janet since we were teenagers. The e-mails contained some fascinating images of the village of Scopwick, including the Royal Oak pub, School Lane and Empire Day celebrations. There are also postcards sent by Janet's grandmother Polly. All the images date around the turn of the previous century, in other words around 1900. David's father, Joe, was Estate Manager for the Blankney Estates and had several German POW's working for him. David relates how one particular prisoner called Karl became a great friend of his family, eventually returning to Germany in 1947. One of the images is a Christmas card sent by Karl to the Butler family, I think around 1962. One of David's recollections was very interesting to me, as a small boy he was given a wooden toy made by the prisoners. It was a brightly painted push-along ladybird that flapped it's wings. I also had one of these toys except mine was a butterfly and I remember not only did it flap its wings but it made a hell of a clatter at the same time. POW's are very much a part of Blankney history and I would like to return to this subject at some time in the future. If any readers knew, or still know, any POW's or have any stories or information concerning POW's please e-mail me at garlant@btinternet.com . I would love to hear from you.