Saturday 31 January 2009

Some Things Never Change - But Some Things Do

Ernie was 86 years old and lonely. Seeing an advert in the local paper for a Tea Dance in the village hall, he decided to give it a go. On arrival he walked into the hall and the first person he saw was Mary, his girlfriend from over sixty years ago. He sheepishly made his way over to her.
Ernie: "Hello Mary"
Mary: "Ernie, fancy seeing you here, after all these years"
Ernie: "The last time I saw you was over sixty years ago. We were courting and fell out in this very hall, remember?"
Mary: "I do, we were young and foolish then".
Ernie: "We had some good times in those day's".
Mary: "We did, I remember them well"
Ernie: "Do you remember how we used to go round the back of the hall, during the interval?
Mary: "I do, I'll never forget those days"
Ernie: "And do you remember how we leaned against against the fence, you stood on two bricks and we made mad passionate love?"
Mary: "I do, I do, how could I ever forget, it was 1942"
Ernie: "Why don't we do it again now, just like we did in 1942"
Mary: "Alright then, if you want to"
They went outside, walked round the back of the hall and down to the fence.
Ernie: "Well, look at that Mary, those same two bricks are still there in exactly the same position. Why don't you try standing on them again, just like you did in 1942"
Mary: "Alright then"
Mary stood on the bricks and they began to make mad passionate love. After thirty seconds Ernie was panting and gasping for breath.
Ernie: "For god's sake Mary slow down you'll give me a heart attack! You were never like this in 1942"
Mary: "No and the bloody fence was electrified in 1942"