Thursday 5 February 2009

Do We Really Crave This Type Of Television?

On Tuesday evening I watched the first half of a comedy show I had not seen before. It was screened by ITV1 and was called Katy Brand's Big Ass Show. Now I'm no prude, far from it, but I found this show appalling. The language was foul and the comedy non-existant. Following on from the Jonathan Ross debacle and then the outrage caused by Gordon Ramsay, using the F-word 187 times in his show that ran for 103 minutes, I despair at the demise of British television.
I totally agree with the argument that I, nor anyone else, is forced to watch this kind of rubbish,
after all we do have a remote control and can switch channels or even turn the television off. But isn't it a little bit sad that these kind of programmes command large audiences. Are there no acceptable boundaries of good taste left anymore?