Tuesday 29 September 2009

Who Am I?

From the information given in the ten clues below, can you identify the mystery celebrity? A bit before your time, but I am sure most of you will guess the name of this famous person.

01 I was born on 16April 1889.
02 My place of birth was Walworth, London.
03 My parents were both music hall entertainers.
04 My maternal grandmother was half gypsy.
05 I was put in the workhouse at Lambeth when my mother was admitted to an Asylum.
06 I first toured America from 1910-1912 and shared a room in a boarding house with Arther Stanley Jefferson, who would later become known as Stan Laurel (Laurel and Hardy).
07 I started in films with the Keystone Film Company.
08 In the early days my principal character was 'The Tramp'.
09 I was a star of the silent screen.
10 One of my famous props was a cane.

Who do you think matches the clues given?