Thursday 29 January 2009

There's More Than One Way To Coook A Haggis

Another Burns night has been and gone and the famous haggis has had its night of glory for another year. The legend of Robbie Burns is a powerful one and captures the imagination of the English as well as the Scots. Whilst haggis has always been the staple diet in Scotland, I suspect most English people probably only get to eat it once a year, during the Burns night celebrations. I am English and my wife is Irish but we have always celebrated Burns night, though probably not traditionally, with a haggis meal. Personally, I love haggis, but that has not always been the case. For many years we always boiled the haggis in the traditional way and I never found it particularly appetising. That all changed quite a few years ago when, one Burns night I decided to wrap the haggis in foil and roast it in the oven. The change in taste was amazing, so good in fact that occasionally we now have haggis at various other times of the year. Served with a thick gravy, to which a tablespoon of haggis, and a little drop of whiskey, has been added and accompanied by creamed potatoes, and some well peppered carrot and swede mash, it makes a great meal. No doubt any Scottish readers will be horrified at the thought of haggis being served in this way, but believe me it is delicious. Try it and see!