Thursday 4 June 2009

Carres Grammar School - A Blast From The Past

A few evenings ago I received a surprise telephone call from an old school friend by the name of Tim Harrod. I must confess that though the name was familiar speaking over the telephone I could not put a face to the name. He then emailed me two school photographs and when I saw them I instantly recognised him. We had quite a long chat that evoked old memories and he mentioned many names of boys from our year that I had forgotten, bearing in mind it was 52 years since I last saw them. The first picture is the Spring 1954 A-form photo. Although Tim and I were in the same year, he was in the A-Form and I was in the B-Form, which explains why I could not immediately place him.

Back Row L-R: Siddans, Ford,Clingan,Emmence,Peterson,
Addison,Lunn,Davies,Johnson,Blankley
Middle Row L-R: Couling,Pickard,Jones,Jarvis,Manton,Dowse,
Arum,Bickerton
Front Row L-R: Navesey,Moore,Harrod,Brittain,Stockton[Sir],
Murray,Muir,Warne,Marsh
The second photograph is the Under 14 football team taken in 1955. Tim and I are third and fourth from left on the back row. The initial reason for his call was to inform me that he and one or two others are hoping to arrange an informal reunion of pupils from around our era. The venue that has been earmarked is Sleaford Cricket Club where a cricket festival is being held 29-31 July 2009. If anyone reading this article is interested please email me at garlant@btinternet.com and I will pass the information on.

Back Row L-R: Dawson,Flatters,T.Harrod,Garlant,Whittaker,Brittain,Wilcox,

Front Row L-R: Vincent[Sir], ? , Bailey,Dickinson,Moore, ? ,R.Harrod

Unfortunately, at the time of writing, I cannot recall the names of the two mystery boys identified by a (?), but I hope to be able to fill these in at some point in the future. If any of the pupils who appear on the photographs, or indeed, if anyone has any information about any of them, please contact me on the email address given above, I would be delighted to hear from them.