Friday 22 January 2010

Non-Emergency 999 Calls

The following are actual reports by Avon and Somerset police recording telephone calls at their
999 Emergency Centre. Can you believe that people actually make these calls?

Communications operator: "Hello police"
Caller: "My wife's left me two salmon sandwiches which was left over from last night... and I'm a sat in the chair here and she's out there decorating. She won't put any food on or anything for anybody, I don't know what...."
Communications operator: "I'm sorry but I really can't take this. It's not an emergency because your wife won't give you anything to eat."

----------------
Communications operator: "Police Emergency..."
Caller: "Hello... I know this is gonna sound stupid but a pigeon's been run over... and I've got no money to phone the RSPCA or anything..."
Communications operator: "Right... so you're ringing police emergency line..."
Caller: "Well, I've just been told..."
Communications operator: "...which is for life and death about a pigeon which has been run over?"
Caller: "Well, I've just been told to phone you by the operator..."
Communications operator: "Right... Madam I'm going to put you on another line which will give you a number to call. I'm not prepared to deal with your enquiry on this line... just one moment..."
----------------
Communications operator: "Thank you go ahead please..."
Caller: "Hello..."
Communications operator: "What's the emergency please?"
Caller: "The emergency is... I am at Lockleaze... and I would like to get home..."
Communications operator: "We're not a taxi service sir..."
Caller: "I know, I know, I know, but I am in a bit of a mess in so far as I cannot get a..."
Communications operator: "Thank you go ahead please..."
Caller: "Hello..."
Communications operator: "What's the emergency please?"
Caller: "The emergency is... I am at Lockleaze... and I would like to get home..."
Communications operator: "We're not a taxi service sir..."
Caller: "I know, I know, I know, but I am in a bit of a mess in so far as I cannot get a..."
----------------
Police: "Police emergency"
Caller: "Hi. I'm next to the M32, city centre... there's an M32 city centre sign. Can you inform Animal Rescue that there's a grey squirrel with no hazelnut trees please."
Police: "There's a grey squirrel with no hazelnut trees?"
Caller: "Yeah. Animal rescue – can you inform the...?"
Police: "And you're phoning on 999 for that are you?"
Caller: "Actually yeah, 'cause his life is in danger. It's rare... it's a grey squirrel. It's a rare... it's a rare species."
Police: "Grey squirrels are not rare, it's the red squirrels that are rare."
Caller: "Well actually I'm not trying to be funny but its half and half... grey squirrels are definitely the rare ones.... It might be a cross breed, oh my god, its even rarer."
Police: "Ok, thanks for your call."
----------------