Wednesday 7 January 2009

This Really Is For Beginners

If, like me, you struggle to come to terms with the workings of your computer, then let me assure you there is help out there. I was browsing in Waterstones bookshop recently, taking in the wonderful aroma of fresh ground coffee, when I came across a great book. The title is Absolute Beginners Guide to Computer Basics (fourth edition), written by Michael Miller. Now I am always sceptical when I see titles like this, they usually fail to deliver (those books for Dummies are the best example I can think of). However, this book really does live up to its name. Brilliantly written in a clear concise style it really does help you to understand the basic workings of your computer. Covers both Windows Vista and Windows XP and is bulging with great tips and information. Among the topics covered are hardware, software, using and personalising windows, working with files and folders and routine maintenance. It deals with the components of Microsoft Office, the internet, e-mails, shopping on line (special e-bay section), creating blogs and web pages, Myspace social networking, plus an awful lot more besides. All the information is presented in simple laymans terms and most pages contain a tip, note or caution box. If you feel you are still near the bottom of the computer learning curve I would strongly urge you to invest in this book. It is not cheap at £15.99 but it is worth every penny.